Thursday, December 10, 2009

Welcome to Our Online Book Discussion



Pieces of Me, Who do I Want to Be? is a collection of stories, poems, art, music, quotes, activities, and provocative questions for an adopted teen or young adult who wants to put the pieces of their adoption story together - but doesn’t know where to begin.

It is a book of voices, from ages 11 to 63, speaking honestly and authentically about what it means to be adopted. Most are adoptees from around the world – some are transracial, some are international, some are from foster care, some are young, some are old.

The book is separated into five sections:
  • Gathering the Pieces
  • Stolen Pieces
  • Fitting the Pieces
  • Sharing the Pieces
  • Where do These Pieces Go?
Each chapter offers hope, encouragement, empowerment, and a sense of not being alone.

3 comments:

  1. If you read this book and felt it was overwhelmingly negative, I did too! I am almost 14, so maybe I was just a little too young for this book, but am really happy and I want other adopted kids and teens to know that if you are really happy, that is completely normal too! You don't need to feel strange because you don't fit into one of the profiles in this book or share all of the pain and sadness. It is OK too feel really great about your adoption and age too! I sometimes have questions about my adoption and Asian heritage but have had lots of support and many avenues to explore these queries. I am looking forward to growing in many ways in the coming years and I am excited about it as well. I hope the book helps some kids by sharing some thought but I wish there was more positive stuff in the book too. Now I feel guilty! My mom finally put the book away and we decided we might pull it out in future years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a good idea to keep in mind that we change and grow.. that our feelings change and grow with us. Of course it is great that you feel positive about your adoption that your connections to your heritage are present and supportive... I wish all adopted kids/teens/adults had that experience!! Some people feel positve about their adoption most of the time but still struggle some with sadness or curiousity from time to time.. that is OK TOO!

    I know that as a child I felt one way about my foster care experience... when I was a teen.. I felt another and now as an adult.. I feel differently - both for myself and as a parent to adopted children. I am glad that my feelings change.. since I wouldn't want to lose either the anger that spurred me to become a child advocate nor the compassion that had offered forgiveness for the decisions that adults made FOR ME! All feelings are relevant! Many of the contributors are teens.. so some of the book may be interesting... and althought some contributors may have felt more comfortable sharing the parts they struggle with than the happy feelings. Perhaps you can negotiate reading some parts now and saving some for later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the book and linked to it from my site.

    Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete